Thursday, February 16, 2006

Gold

Alright, let's get one thing straight: You go to the Olympics to bring back the gold medal for your country.

So when I hear things like the Canadian Women's hockey team is running up the score, it pisses me off:

"I'm upset that Canada has been running up the score, especially against the host nation," United States defenceman Angela Ruggiero told Sports Illustrated's website.

"There was no need for that. They're trying to pad their stats ... Canada is running up the score for whatever reasons – personal, short-term."


That's pure and complete bullshit.


First of all, it would be a greater insult if every team didn't play to their maximum capacity. This is a new sport, and obviously Canada and the USA (I guess) have an advantage. Sure, they trashed Italy 16-0, but even the Italian coach said it had been a learning experience playing against Canada.


Hockey is Canada's sport.


You don't ask the fastest skater to slow down, or the best ice skaters to fall a few times so others can catch up, so how do people come off telling the hockey teams to take it easy? Honestly.


So that being said...
GO CANADA GO!


1 comment:

Boulder Dude said...

Damn Straight! This is Hockey not Ice Dancing!

And on the at note...for old times sake.

---

Hey, I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader....
I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled....
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a president.
I speak English and French, not American.
And I pronounce it 'about', not 'a boot'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, not policing,
diversity, not assimilation,
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.
A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch,
and it is pronounced 'zed' not 'zee', 'zed' !!!!

Canada is the second largest landmass!
The first nation of hockey!
and the best part of North America

My name is Joe!!
And I am Canadian!!!


---

Yes, it is ood that I am rooting against the USA...but all my favorite players are on Team Canada.